Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Day In The Life

I must say, this is one of my absolutely favorites with The Beatles. The music are just so incredibly cool.

A Day In The Life - The Beatles


A Day In The Life is by many called The Beatles’s most important, influential and innovative song. It has a very special sound with two parts, one written by John Lennon and the other one written by Paul McCartney. The two parts sounds very different and are put together with a chaotic crescendo played by an orchestra.

When it comes to analysing The Beatles’s lyrics it’s very often hopeless because of the intended incoherence but some of their texts do actually have something to say, A Day In The Life is one of them. There are some different thoughts about what The Beatles want to say with A Day In The Life but it’s known that three of the verses written by John Lennon (first, second, and fifth) are all based on articles published in “Daily mail”. The first and the second verse deals with the death of The Beatles friend, Tara Browne, who died in a traffic accident. The third verse were also written by John Lennon and is probably inspired by his recent participation in the film “How I Won The War” .

The song do also have a drug insinuating such as the line ”I’d love to turn you on” which are repeated twice. The verse written by McCartney (fourth) also says ”Found my way upstairs and had a smoke, and Somebody spoke and I went into a dream”.

I really like the song, mostly thanks to the wonderful music and the cool contrast between the two parts. I would like to call it a historic piece of art.

//Ednel

If you have any comments on either my language or what I've been writing about, LET ME KNOW! You can write in the comment box bellow or send me an email at: edward_nehlback@hotmail.com

No comments: